Cleaning & Care
Proper cleaning and care allow you to enjoy your StainlessLUX pieces for decades:
For keeping a pristine finish:
- Use a non-scratch soft pad or cloth.
- Use only a mild biodegradable detergent, baking soda or vinegar diluted in water.
- Avoid bleach, steel wool or any abrasive cleaner.
- For cleaning and drying, apply a soft cloth in the same direction as the grain.
- Hand wash cleaning is recommended for StainlessLUX models 71103, 73211, 77311, 77314 and 77316.
- For StainlessLUX wire baskets, wipe clean with soft damp pad or cloth without soaking in water.
For a gently used finish and easy maintenance:
- Use a dishwasher for cleaning your frequently used stainless steel items.
- If not completely dry after a cleaning cycle, dry with a soft cloth in the same direction as the grain, as needed.
- Note: The chemicals in hard water and strong detergents combined with the high heat of a dishwasher potentially may affect the fine stainless finish.
For periodic removal of mild coffee and tea stains:
- Mix a small amount of granulated sugar and a few drops of water, vinegar or lemon juice; then rub. No soaking is required.
- OR, apply baking soda with a wet non-scratch pad or wash cloth.
- OR, mix and apply a paste of cornstarch and vinegar. After about 15 minutes, wipe the mug with a wet non-scratch pad or wash cloth.
- OR, cut a lemon in half and use it as a scrubber.
- Clean in the same direction as the grain.
For deep cleaning of strong coffee and tea stains:
- Mix boiling water with baking soda.
- Soak item overnight.
- Clean with a soft cloth in the same direction as the grain.
For deep cleaning to remove stubborn rust stains:
- FIRST, mix 1 cup of baking soda in warm water (enough to cover item in a sink or small plastic tub).
- Soak item for a couple of hours or overnight.
- SECOND, create a paste of 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture using a soft pad or toothbrush. Scrub gently only on the rust spots to avoid scratching the stainless steel.
- THIRD, rinse item in baking soda and warm water (see FIRST step).
- If needed, repeat FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD steps above.
- Note: To prevent any reoccurrence of rust in the future, keep item clean and do not let foreign particles remain on its surface for a long period of time.
Thank you for taking good care of your StainlessLUX pieces! For other household items, here are some environmentally friendly cleaning alternatives as suggested by the Dublin San Ramon Water Services District:
For Toilet Bowl Cleaner:
o Sprinkle baking soda into toilet and scrub.
For Tub/Tile Cleaner:
o Use baking soda and scrub with a scrubbing pad.
o OR, sprinkle baking soda on a wet sponge and add vinegar on top.
o Rinse thoroughly with water.
For Removing Mildew:
o Use equal amounts of vinegar and salt.
o Scrub and rinse thoroughly with water.
For Furniture Polish:
o Apply and rub in olive oil or almond oil.
o Allow the oil to sit on the furniture for several hours; then polish with a soft, dry cloth.
For Drain Cleaner:
o Pour 1/2 cup baking soda down drain followed by 1/2 cup vinegar.
o Cover drain.
o Allow to stand 15 minutes; then carefully flush with 2 quarts of boiling water.
o Note: To prevent problems in the kitchen, use a drain trap to catch food and a can to collect cooking grease. For the bathroom drains, use drain traps to collect hair.
For Chrome (Not Stainless Steel) Cleaner:
o Use vinegar and wipe dry.
o To remove soap scum, clean with baby oil.
For Copper Cleaner:
o Dip half a lemon in kosher salt and rub well.
o Polish with a soft cloth and beeswax for a deep shine.
o Note: Salt and vinegar remove oxidation from copper.
For Fabric Stain Remover:
o Mix the following in a plastic squeeze bottle: 1 part glycerin, 1 part biodegradable liquid dishwashing detergent, and 8 parts water.
o Shake well before each use.
o Test on unexposed area of fabric first.
o Apply the above to stain as soon as possible and blot with clean cloth.
For Window Cleaner:
o Use equal amounts of vinegar and water in a pump spray bottle.
o Spray glass and dry with paper towels.
o To remove streaks after drying, wipe with newspaper.
Thank you for mindful of the environment! Let us partner together and make this a better, cleaner and greener world!