If you're like many Americans, chances are you're already starting to feel the first tremors of what will become the earthquake of holiday-season stress. With all the obligations, expenses and logistical struggles of the holiday season, it's no wonder that many people turn to alcohol to escape from all the pressure. However, if you want some healthier options that won't leave you hung over and vaguely ashamed the next day, try sipping some of these naturally relaxing beverages throughout the day:
- Cherry juice: This lip-puckeringly tart drink has been shown to increase the duration and quality of sleep, helping you rebuild your energy level each night. Plus, it looks basically like wine or a cocktail when served in a clear glass, so you won't have nosy partygoers asking you why you're teetotaling.
- Green tea: One of the more well-known calming drinks, green tea contains the brain-relaxing chemical theanine. However, you may want to stop drinking green tea in the early evening, or switch to a decaf variety, if you don't want to end up staying up all night.
- Warm milk: The classic putting-yourself-to-sleep drink, milk contains tryptophan, which will knock you out as surely as a big portion of Thanksgiving turkey.
- Valerian: This insomnia- and anxiety-reducing herb can be found in many herbal tea blends.
- Water: It may seem simplistic, but really, in order to keep stress levels low, one of the most important things you can do is to keep yourself fully hydrated. Water does the job better than anything else — don't believe the hype about sports drinks somehow being more hydrating.
For all your holiday sipping needs, check out this set of double-walled stainless steel drinking glasses from StainlessLUX. If you're interested, contact us for advice on how to shine stainless steel and other stainless steel care information.