Nothing brightens your home or your day quite like a bouquet of fresh cut flowers. On the other hand, nothing is more frustrating than finding your blooms sad and wilted shortly after you bought them. Did you know that how you treat the bouquet can make a big difference in how long it lasts? Here are some tips for better-looking, longer-lasting flowers:
- Avoid the sun: It may seem counterintuitive, since live plants need light, but Woman's Day says direct sun actually hastens your flowers' demise. Keep them in a cool, shady area in your home.
- Change the water: This is one of the best steps you can take to prolong the life of your flowers, yet few people do it: Simply change out the water in the vase every other day.
- Cut stems: While holding stems under running water, cut an inch or more off the bottom at a 45-degree angle.
- Get creative: Naturally antimicrobial and food-safe stainless steel provides a clean and friendly environment for your posies. To make your bouquet stand out from the pack, get creative by repurposing various stainless steel accessories. Smaller arrangements take on a fun and offbeat tone when placed in one of our large beer steins. Larger blooms make a stylish statement in a sophisticated ice bucket or our two-tone stainless steel utensil holder.
- Trim leaves: Trim off any leaves that fall below the water line.
- Try aspirin: The Healthy Journal says put a crushed aspirin in the water before adding your flowers.
- Use sugar and vinegar: Alternatively, add a little sugar and vinegar to the water to nourish the flowers and discourage bacteria growth. You can also use clear soda, such as Sprite.
Shop the StainlessLUX website today!